Throwing a pair of shoes away prematurely due to lack of care is a frustrating situation. Without the proper care, shoes may not last more than a few seasons. Shoes made from specialty fabrics such as synthetic leather are made to withstand wear and tear but need to be appropriately maintained. Following a few shoe protector tips is worth the effort if you don’t want to purchase new shoes every year. Use this information to help you care for your Conal footwear.
Definition of Synthetic Leather
Synthetic leather, also known as artificial leather, is a material used as a substitute for leather in various products. Synthetic materials typically consist of natural and artificial fibers and are coated with a plastic polymer layer. Most artificial materials are made from polyurethane or a polymer textile substitute. A variety of products typically crafted from leather, including clothing, footwear and upholstery, can also be made from a synthetic material when traditional leather is unsuitable or unaffordable.
Protecting Synthetic Leather Shoes
When you purchase a pair of shoes, you want to make sure you know how to care for them properly. Synthetic leather is much different from traditional leather and must be cared for in a unique way. Follow these shoe cleaner and protector ideas to keep your Conal shoes looking new.
- Use a waterproof conditioning spray on your shoes to help protect them from damp weather conditions. Make sure you read the spray can's instructions before spraying the shoes. It is always a good idea to test the product on a small part of the inside of the shoe before spraying them completely.
- If your shoes get wet after a day of hiking or playing sports, stuff them with a thick paper towel to soak up the moisture. Let the shoes dry overnight.
- Do not dry your shoes in direct sunlight after cleaning. Sunlight rays may fade the color and can even cause the coating to crack.
- Do not wear your synthetic leather shoes daily. Switch things up and wear them every other day to keep them in good condition and to let them air out.
- Avoid damaging your shoes by keeping them in a high-quality shoe bag while traveling.
Cleaning Synthetic Leather Shoes
You should spot clean your Conal footwear once a week and perform a more thorough cleaning monthly to keep them in good condition. Clean your synthetic leather shoes with mild soap and warm water. Apply the solution to the shoes with a thick towel or washcloth. Avoid putting your shoes in the washing machine or the dryer.
Synthetic Leather Shoe Storage Ideas
Synthetic leather is susceptible to humidity and damp weather conditions. To protect your shoes from excess moisture, avoid storing your Conal shoes in boxes. Storing shoes in sealed containers can cause the fabric to deteriorate. If you are looking for shoe storage ideas, you should invest in some high-quality soft dust bags. Place your shoes in the bags when not in use and store them in a dry, cool place.